Welcome aboard the
239 Hockey Community
  1. Season 14 Signups
    Click Here

BLK's Post-Draft Rankings (tiers)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bluelineking7, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Bluelineking7

Bluelineking7 Member

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion. The opinion contained inside this thread is of my own and does not represent the views or opinions of 239, or its members... BUT IT SHOULD!

Good day after draft all, hope everyone had a fun and exciting draft day! To the captains, congrats and good luck on the upcoming season! To the players drafted, congrats as well and hoping for your success and improving your draft stock heading into next season! For those not drafted, best of luck if you're a willing waiver when the bell rings.

Now, with that shit out of the way lets get to it... in no particular order:

Bottom Tier

Magilla72's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    Ian the Berean
    C: Hockeyt0wn
    RW: Peaceful Bob
    LD: Magilla72
    RD: xD A L Y
    G: MacNorth
    Reserve: TheeClumsyNinja
    My thoughts: I do not believe this team will go win-less or win just 1 game, but I don't see this team being able to win series consistently. The best player on their team will be xDaly, a defenseman known for his great 2-way ability, he will be leaned on heavily to contribute offensively if this team wants to compete. Ian and Peaceful Bob are underrated respectfully, but both I would consider more complementary pieces to a offense, as is, they will serve as the #2/3 go to forwards. Hockeyt0wn is a fantastic 2-way player, but his strong game is in the defensive end and he will be heavily relied upon to be the go to center piece of the offense. MacNorth will at least have a solid defensive core and 2-way players in front of him, so if he can make key saves at big times they may surprise me and others.

MasterShotgun's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    Swagg x 92/HockeyMike
    C: Esot3ric
    RW: xSoberEnuffx
    LD: RunngDuckButter
    RD: JohnnyyBlaze
    G: MasterShotgun
    Reserve: WhoUsedAllTheTP
    My thoughts: A team employing the PT starting lineup strategy, Swagg and Hockey Mike look to share duties at LW. Eso will need to carry this forward core and get the most out of his wingers. Sober looks to continue his success at the RW position after a successful go at it last season. While I believe each of those players are very talented, I don't again see a true #1 offensive player. This could become a problem for them, especially against some of the more high scoring offenses in the league. To steal a line from Yam's rankings, I see a lot of "Robins" but no "Batman". DuckButter will need to, and has the talent to, play with an offensive mind from the LD spot in order to help out on the offensive end. Johnnyy Blaze will need to be the steady stay at home guy who limits mistakes. Shotgun made sure to draft a solid 2-way team, being a goalie I am not surprised (lol) he would want to concentrate on the defensive style of play, but I feel as if this team may come up just short.

DrugMonkey's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    AmazingViper X
    C: Suneedee
    RW: Quantumtek
    LD: DrugmonkeyRX
    RD: RevHellcat/TimeToGetSteven
    G: Dalilaama
    Reserve: Shockazulu
    My thoughts: I must say this team was very close to making it to the "middle tier" but I felt if nothing else they could use this as motivation. I can't say there is anything wrong with this team overall, but something to me is... lacking and/or missing. Viper at LW is a solid, not a star but a solid #3 offensive guy. On his opposite wing will come the true driving force of the offense in Quantumtek. This is a bit tricky as I could see Quantum playing center with Sunee playing LW, but for this purpose of this article he's the RW that will carry the offense if this team is to be a playoff team. Will he be capable of being the #1? Suneedee probably will man the center position for Drug's squad, a very solid player that has the talent to have games in which he will be the go to guy but fits in more realistically as the #2 option. Hellcat will pair with Drugmonkey part-time, and make up one of the more formidable defensive pairs in the league when they do. TimeToGetSteven will be the sub-in, another PT player, and is more than capable himself of filling the RD spot. Dalilaama should be fine in net, but may run into the problem of playing well but not seeing enough scoring from his own side to pick up W's. Could prove me really wrong and be a great team, the potential is there for sure... but I feel the lack of a true game changing player may come back to cost them.

2. Bluelineking7

Bluelineking7 Member

Middle Tier

SurpriseMe's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    xAbilityx
    C: Pogs
    RW: Surprise Me
    LD: Blue Liner x 6
    RD: See Dew77
    G: HellbentxWilly/Phinnyy
    Reserve: HeadlessFrangu
    My thoughts: Now we get into teams who could either plummet to the bottom, or rise to the top... but imo they will float somewhere between 5-9. Surprise Me's team is a perfect example of that. Pogs in one of, if not the best center in the league. He is surrounded by his long time teammate Surprise Me. They should form a great duo upfront that is sure to score goals and drive other teams crazy at times. They have SeeDew77 who is considered by many to be one of the best defense-people in the game. But both sides, defense and offense comes with a question mark. The answer to the question will determine this teams fate and a large amount of pressure will fall onto not the top players but the final pieces of the team. xAbilityx hung up the mask and glove and decided to play out this season. Many have publicly questioned him and some begged him to reconsider. Now, he is locked in as the starting LW of a team with hopes of high scoring with one of the best duo's in the league... can Ability keep up? On the back end, Blue Liner x 6 is a vet who most recently (I believe) spent most of his playing time in net. Another transplanted goalie coming out of the crease attempting to fit in against some of the best at their natural positions. Blue Liner has had experience playing D and should be able to adapt quick enough. In net it will be a split time combo of Phinnyy who played forward last year, and HellBentWilly. Can a tandem starting goalie combo work?And it remains to be seen if the saying "you're only as strong as your weakest link" holds true with this team.

P4LE PWNR's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    StoeyJopa
    C: P4LE PWNR
    RW: Ezreal/DominatorSilva
    LD: ScubaDan21
    RD: BarrettFiffyCal
    G: xdlx njdevil10
    Reserve: jets killer
    My thoughts: A very intriguing team on paper, the Pale bunch will be lead upfront by himself and PT star Sainner (aka EzReal). When Sanny isn't playing his series of the week, it will be DominatorSilva stepping in to take the reign. While many expected Pale to play the PT strategy with his middle round dominance of the draft... owning 27 picks in rd 2 alone (lol), I don't know if people would've guessed the PT player would be selected with his 1st selection. On LW we have StoeyJopa, the grizzled vet looks to recapture the scoring touch and help form a solid trio upfront. I do believe there is a significant change in line style and play between DomSilva and Sanny... something that could cause chemistry issues and the main reason this team is "middle tier" and not "top talent tier". ScubaDan is a respectable, solid defenseman who should fit in nicely. On his right playing RD will be BarrettFiffyCal, a sometimes forward, sometimes defenseman who currently leads another league in points by a wide margin and averages near 4 PPG in doing so at the center position. Pale likes defense who can carry the play and quarterback a offense if needed, this is that guy. Pair ALL of that with quite possibly the best goalie in the league and you have yourself...a middle tier team?!?! Yes, I know, but I want to make this interesting and try to be incredibly critical of any potential flaws. I see this team winning a lot of games with Sainner... and quite possibly near or below .500 without unless Pale and Barrett find lots of chemistry with Dom and Jopa, and then in return those 2 play at high levels.

Hugh Laurie 88's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    bbx90
    C: Hugh Laurie 88
    RW: x B E R K S x
    LD: Elliottism
    RD: ii Epik x
    G: TheThomahawk
    Reserve: Thirty7inarow
    My thoughts: This could be a true dark horse of the league. Hugh put together a quietly solid bunch of players. bbx and xBERKSx should share (can they?) the spotlight up front, allowing Hugh to play a more natural #3 option and more of a defensive center. Should bbx and xBERKSx co-exist and find a style of play that works together, this could be a exciting offense. On defense they have Elliottism at LD, and iiEpik at RD. I feel Epik was one of the steals of the draft being selected as late as he was. He may not be flashy or go end to end like Bobby Orr, but what he does right is more than enough, and what he does right is pretty much everything you'd want out of a #2 defenseman that has the skills to be a low to mid-end #1. Elliott will have a great partner to start the season with in a year he himself will want to prove his success hasn't been because of loaded teams but due to his own skill. If he fails with Epik we will know the answer. Thomahawk in net will also give this team a big boost, he could be a sleeper Vezina candidate.

A9ent X007's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    swizzy x 61
    C: HavocXSG
    RW: DMart15
    LD: Young Kelch
    RD: A9ent X007
    G: wolf master00
    Reserve: xlifx legion
    My thoughts: This team will be fun to watch!!! While it may lack with huge stars on defense, its forward core is nothing to laugh at. The projected #1 pick fell to Agent at #4 and he took him with a smile on his face I'm sure. DMart carries the tag of the best player in the draft in most peoples mind, but he also possesses the skill to back it up. Some people are just good at video games some are not, it's a fact. He plays esports for EA UFC and participated in the NHL SPACE eSports event just last month... he's good a video games. He will be paired with Swizzy, my boy and a newcomer to the league, and most importantly a fantastic player. He's a natural finisher, but can pass the puck if the pass is there. He will definitely put up a ton of goals playing with Dmart. Havoc at center will just need to play a solid 2-way game so the 2 studs up front can do what they do and it doesn't turn into odd mans if there is a turnover. Speaking of the defense, the captain of the team Agent will be starting at RD, while veteran Young Kelch will take up the LD position. Definitely a lot of experience on the back end, but not big point guys. Luckily, they shouldn't have to do much more besides play D and quickly get the puck to DMart or Swizzy. Finally in net is wolf master, someone who might be the key to this teams success or failure. If he can hold up his end this team could go far, if not it may be over before it starts to get good. I would have this team in my top 3 if not for the fact I have a sneaking suspicion this team could be in for a lot of 7-6, 6-5 wins and losses.

3. Bluelineking7

Bluelineking7 Member

TOP TALENT Tier

xDLxBrickCityNJ's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    Sniper0270
    C: See Dub 21
    RW: Notorious Figo
    LD: xDLxBrickCityNJ
    RD: Evilushun13
    G: Linkrunner
    Reserve: AC09DC
    My thoughts: Brick made the obvious choices even after the board was far from obvious. Looking back he may have made the right decisions. He grabbed his center Dub with the #2 overall pick instead of selecting Dmart, which set him up for taking Notorious Figo with pick 8 who shared the same position as DMart. The price to pick early meant a long wait for Brick, and he made sure we all waited on him multiple times before he picked as pay back (lol), but he followed up with solid late round selections. Sniper0270 should be able to be a complementary piece for Figo and Dub, his main objective should be to give Dub 2 options when teams start to lock down Figo. On the back end you have the captain Brick, paired along with steady Evilushun13. On paper a perfect pairing of solid but not spectacular defensive minded Evil with what should be the more attacking and aggressive offensive minded Brick. Behind them they have one of the top goalies in the league, Linkrunner. Even the reserve on this team is a solid veteran in AC09DC who can fill in at any time asked if the past is any indication of the future. Just a very well rounded team built strong from top to bottom. The only problematic thing I could possibly see would be if teams completely shut down Figo they would need to rely on Brick to pinch which is dangerous, or Sniper/Dub would need to step up from their more playmaking/complementary roles.

Ozzy9041's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    Nikdagreek2
    C: ctown1018
    RW: ozzy9041
    LD: BobbyBanner/FeenixRising
    RD: that1oddguy
    G: SirPuffington420
    Reserve: N/A
    My thoughts: What I would call the "sleeper" team of the top tier. I would also say, maybe the team of the group that could fall out of the top tier the easiest. But overall I really like how this team was built. Ozzy up front already adds explosive offense to the team before a pick is even made. He adds ctown, a great center who can play great on both sides of the ice, a natural center that should link up with ozzy for a lot of points this season. On the other side is Nikdagreek, the most disrespected player in the league (maybe?). Everyone seems to like to bag on Nik, but he puts up consistent numbers and proves to always be a solid #2 or a great #3. In this situation he gets to be #3, and play in front of one of the better defense units as well. the1oddguy is one of the best RD in the league, he will be paired with what seems to be a battle for the starting job between BobbyBanner and FeenixRising. Whoever plays should be able to handle what should be easy work with oddguy paired with him and a offense that should be controlling the puck and putting up points. In the pipes will be last years out of no where star SirPuffington420. He will look to continue what was a amazing career beginning last season coming from waiver wire undrafted goalie to starting in the finals and getting a vezina nomination. The reason I say this team could be the closest to falling out of the top tier would be my concern Puffington can't repeat the same success and if the chem upfront doesn't gel. Ozzy is great, oddguy is great, everyone else is good. Some other teams just have more fire power and if Puff fails to live up to last year, this could go wrong.

WizzyWar's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    Cortez/MartyMcFly
    C: Ron Don Volante
    RW: monstar jay
    LD: x96mnn97
    RD: WizzyWar
    G: TheLime18
    Reserve: dvetts10
    My thoughts: Rookie owner Wizzy wanted to make an impact with his draft and he did just that. He grabbed one of the best centers in the league with his 1st pick in Ron Don Volante. He followed it up with explosive goal scorer (and rookie) monster jay, and grabbed a combo of PT vets in Cortez and MartyMcFly to round out the offense and completely complement the other 2 stars up front. Behind the powerful offense is one of the best defenseman in the league in Wizzy, who paired himself with x96mnn97, a relative unknown on my part but I've heard he is very solid. He also snagged dvetts10 who I would have put in the Norris hunt had he been FT with a late snag to make the defense formidable in every shape. If the rich couldn't get richer, he got one of the best goalies in the league with a pick of TheLime18. If wizzy had a bad team Lime has the skill to have kept them in games, but he didn't draft a bad team. You may be looking at your future Vezina winner. And even more, you could be looking at your next league champions. The only thing that could hold this team back would be some kind of unusual lacking of chemistry that I just can't see happening or if some type of availability issues came up suddenly. The only actual real issue I see is because he is going the PT winger option, the play style could change or chemistry between 1 wing or the other could become some type of factor.

I don't want to put my team in a tier. I think it would be unfair as I have bias and would simply say I felt my team is the best of one of the best, as any other owner would probably tell you today 1 day after the draft. So instead here is my team, and my thoughts on why I picked who I picked.

BLK's team

Projected lineup:

LW:
    Skjei x76x
    C: x Anderson o
    RW: Yambag
    LD: Bluelineking7
    RD: Hamburglar
    G: HolyxRebelxKid
    Reserve: YoungBuffalo88
    My thoughts:
    On pick #1 overall:
    I know I shocked a lot of people with my #1 overall pick of Anderson. I even saw 2 people in the twitch chat say "it's a slap in the face of DMart" that I and 2 other captains passed over him with picks 1-3. It wasn't a slap in his face. I truly believe DMart is the best wing in the league or at least top 3 without a shadow of a doubt. What you saw with the first 3 picks, and then again with picks 6, 9, and 11 was the desire to get the best center on the board. DMart for as good as he is had the misfortune of playing RW in a league that RW are a dime a dozen because the skill gap between #1 and #8 isn't near as much as the #5/6 to #7 and below. I took who I felt is the best center on the board and in the league with Anderson.

On my team overall: I really like my team. I was happy that Yam was around at pick 22, and really happy Ham and Buffalo lasted as long as they did. I think Skjei, if he lives up to what I've heard about him, is going to be the guy no ones heard of that turns into a high pick next year. I doubt Rebel goes as low as he did this year either.. same with Buffalo. I think I got a lot of value in my picks and I hope we're as good as many people have told me they think we will be.

4. Sniper0270

Sniper0270 Active Member Admin Developer

Solid writeup bro! GL this season!

5. A9ent XOO7

A9ent XOO7 Well-Known Member Media

Great write-up BLK!! Thanks for taking the time on this. :seriousbusiness:

6. Yambag021

Yambag021 Well-Known Member King of Media Admin

nice job coach.
    sincerely,
    #DimeADozenRW

Bluelineking7 likes this.
  7. Bluelineking7

Bluelineking7 Member

Don’t take it to heart lol ... think of it this way, I took YOU at RW over DMart!!

Yambag021 likes this.
  8. DrugMonkeyRX

DrugMonkeyRX Well-Known Member Captain

great job with this BK

Well done!

9. iiEpiK x

iiEpiK x Active Member

Nice write up BLK. Good luck this season

10. Dalilaama

Dalilaama Active Member

Thanks for doing this. Guess we got a lot to prove ;)

11. That 1 odd guy

That 1 odd guy Well-Known Member

Great job. Thanks for doing this.

12. Pogs

Pogs Well-Known Member

Words!!!

Good write up dude.

That 1 odd guy likes this.
  13. NoToRiOuS FiGo

NoToRiOuS FiGo Well-Known Member

Lock and shut dis :Eggplant: down is all I have to say lol .... nice write up

14. ReV Hellcat

ReV Hellcat Active Member

Thanks for writing this up for us! Happy to be back and ready for some fun, guys.

15. Wizzywar

Wizzywar Well-Known Member

16. x mR aNdersoN o

x mR aNdersoN o Member

Good write-up pal. This season should be solid. I dont think anybody is going 22-2 or 2-22 like last season lol.

17. Young Kelch

Young Kelch Well-Known Member

Good work BLK

18. shockazulu

shockazulu New Member

Viper will lead the league in something. not sure what yet. Quantum, well we just don’t know the limitations of this technology quite yet. But id be shocked if drugmonkey doesn’t throw some bombs, like Randall Cunningham to randy moss all season long.

19. DrugMonkeyRX

DrugMonkeyRX Well-Known Member Captain

Fuckin shock

RUNNGduckBUTTER and Dalilaama like this.