Welcome aboard the
239 Hockey Community

Wizzarama's Week 2 Power Ranking

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Wizzywar, May 9, 2022.

1. Wizzywar

Wizzywar Well-Known Member

Third of the way through the season, fam. Credit to the captains, there’s a lot of parity. Even the lowest ranked teams have a level of competency, so don’t feel too down in the dumps when I shit on you. And if I give you some praise, I'm just trying to be nice while I actually shit on you in my head.

#1 LIBERTY BIBERTY

[​IMG]

I don’t see this as one of those teams predestined to win it all, and frankly they could disappoint if anything, but they deserve the top spot at this juncture. Their schedule has been weak, minus a tight series win over Appear Offline, but Liberty is 3rd in goals for/game, 2nd in goals against/game, 2nd in TOA/game, with the best combined special teams. They went for broke building their defense core, and it’s the best in the league; they have a true Hart-caliber player in Regretzkys. A major question mark, Pensfan is narrowly 2nd in the league in save %, even if he faces the 2nd fewest shots/game. They don’t need a Vezina season, but even baseline competency is a massive win given their BOD allocation. So far, with season left to burn, Pens has performed above and beyond. My biggest concern is on the wing. While Dom and Bryan did the best they could value-wise, is there enough creativity and passing and versatility to carry them through a tough playoff series? Certain people’s reputations precede them in that area. I don’t love the hit chasing either on this team. It’s a heavy burden when your best offensive player by far is your center, especially off the rush, so we'll see.

#2 NOOOOOOOOOOOO

[​IMG]

It's a 6 game sample, including a strong win against Offline, but Pale banked his entire team on Good being the best goalie, with Cougar doing his Norris-caliber thing. So far, it’s gone according to plan. Small sample, but Good’s .868 save% is a mile above 2nd place with .786%. This team has pretty much done everything well through two series, and they still have PT Ozzy in the chamber if they want to pair him with Cougar, which I think is the play. I liked this team straight from draft night given how well-rounded they looked, but the biggest question I have long-term: is being well-rounded enough? While all above average, do they have an actually elite forward who can generate his own offense when things stall or in tough 1-on-1 matchups? Will they be so good at limiting goals does it matter?

#3 APPEAR OFFLINE

[​IMG]

The penalty brigade, Dmart’s team simply can’t stay out of the box. Leading the league in PIMs — almost a minor more per game than the 2nd worst — with the 2nd worst PK is a losing combination. It’s mind boggling how many lazy reckless penalties they take, and it’s not even one person: they have the players with the 1st, 2nd, and 5th most PIMs. The silver lining is they also have the #1 PP, and they carry play and score well at even strength. Take away the elephant in the room, this is a top team. Veds is the most dynamic offensive defenseman in the league, Dmart knows how to win, Dali is 3rd in goals and 1st in shots. But this team can’t keep shooting itself in the foot because they can play every top team even. You know Dmart is at his breaking point. However, the penalties might mask the bigger issue they have: their pace of play and passing up front needs to improve. Too much stagnancy, not enough chained plays.

#4 STRICTLY BUSINESS

[​IMG]

How can I have the only undefeated team in regulation this low? With the most skilled player in the league? Sustainability. They might very well crush their next series against Rubber Puckies too, but they’ve had quite an easy schedule to start with, before an eventually tougher 2nd half. But even in that relatively easier schedule, 7/9 of Business’ games have been 1 goal games. At .705%, Curdogg has the worst save % in the league. Jelly is a perennial Rocket favorite to pair with his BFF Kosmic, but this team is very much feast or famine off the rush (9th in TOA/game). What happens in a more defensive, cycle heavy game? Will they pass it well enough? SeeDew has done well part-time, Marty is obviously a defensive anchor for the younglings (although playing defense his last series speaks to uncertainties when Dew isn’t playing), but they don’t necessarily have a trap breaker either, sans Kosmic. There are more question marks than at face value.

#5 BIG BROWN BEAVERS

[​IMG]

Dutch and Mashtopia are arguably the best center-wing combination this season, and they’ll live and die with them. That's the good and bad news. Getting jsquad off waivers, after spending BODs like Veds spends on Show bundles, and having him be competent so far has been a massive relief for this team. This team can’t survive with less from that position. Zer0 and KH as 3rd forwards provide more than enough firepower up front. This team’s issues stem from the backend: they don’t have an actual puck mover or offensive threat. Dutch spent 30 BODs to get his friend Bowser, but he’s probably best slotted as a #2 defensive guy to pair with a puck mover. Ditto Yambag, to lesser degree. I think it’s been proven over and over that without an elite #1 defenseman, a team will eventually hit a wall, and there’s too much responsibility for the forwards here.

#6 GAME OF THROWS

[​IMG]

HallofFame must’ve had deja vu to last season’s tough start, with Throws opening to the tune of 1-4-1, before scoring a whopping 19 goals on Puckies. While that’s good for morale, I don’t know if that’s predictive. This team on paper should be a contending team, but they’ve underperformed in 3/4 series. Hall made blockbusters last season to get himself out of the hole, but this season is a week shorter, so urgency is at hand. He needs to quickly decide which version of his team is the real thing. Sejje, the Hart-type puck controller, with BigCee, the pure scorer, anchored by the always-elite Hall on defense is a top group on paper. Trading for Hoodler might be enough to put them on course. And Rage and Ace are good depth. But chemistry doesn’t always develop with time; sometimes you're less than the sum of your parts.

#7 AIN'T NO SUNSHINE

[​IMG]

This bunch feels like the other side of the coin to Pale’s Nooooooo team. On paper, right out of draft night, they looked quite well-rounded. They still do in that no player is worse than average, with plenty well above. But they lack that elite punch someone like Cougar provides, and compared to Good’s dominant early start, Xx of a kind has been the 3rd worst goalie. While I do like their defensive core, especially Wick's rush capabilities paired with BLK, their forwards might not be fully meshing, but that could come down to (likely) lack of practice. But I don't see this team grinding, and that will not help matters. BLK’s squad got 3 points off Liberty, a win and some close games off Business, and in many ways they’re closer to average than poor, but I’m not sure BLK is any closer to finding solutions with certain moves.​

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Dominator Silva likes this.
  2. Wizzywar

Wizzywar Well-Known Member

#8 VEDS HAS LEFT THE SERVER

[​IMG]

I could jumble these next 3 teams and not lose sleep. Shotgun hasn’t even played a game, with Anderson taking FT duties so far. If Shotty does actually play, kiss playoffs goodbye. I don’t think this team allocated money well at the draft, with 26 on a PT in Legion4, with very good but not elite career numbers. 22 BODs on Superstar, and his 3.64 GAA and .755 save % look a lot closer to his career averages. The good news is they played Liberty and Business, and they really didn’t get blown out, so there’s room for an upswing in softer matchups. They’re an average scoring team, even if a rusty sbdr leading in points probably won’t make anyone quake in fear. Yet, this team ranks dead last in TOA/game and shots/game, so I don’t know what’s sustainable on that end. They're definitely a below average passing team as a unit. I do like the trade of JRowsyn long-term.

#9 BLUELINE FAKERY

[​IMG]

Ziggy and Abutt had a good run, but all good things come to an end. Their previous back-to-back winning teams were anchored by Ziggy doing his Norris thing and Abutt doing his ballot-stuffing Hart thing. Ziggy at forward has changed the dynamic, and while I can only assume he’ll improve there, 1 goal and 7 points in 6 games just doesn’t cut it for 35 BODs. This team can’t score goals, plain and simple, with their 2.2 goals/game ranking last. 10.8 shots/game doesn't show that's a fluke. Will trading for Schwatz help? I’m not so sure. He’s a net driver type who needs the puck, and I’m not sure Abutt will mesh with that. Unless Abutt experiments going back to defense, where he’s very good, but that’s robbing Peter to pay Paul with their offense. And I think they downgraded in net, from Goat to Magilla, with that trade. There's too many holes to plug, but Abutt needs to keep the trades coming. I do know these guys hate to lose, so they won't roll over.

#10 CHILL PILLS

[​IMG]

A captain should always play his best position, and Odd did the thing where he’s not playing his best position, now at wing and center. Even if it was more draft necessity than ego, this team doesn’t look totally functional, except when Lemanski is playing (PT). That's a major problem for half their series. This team is bottom 4 in every single statistic, minus weirdly having the 3rd best combined special teams. But that’s small sample. They don’t really have a puck mover on defense. Drug still brings plenty to the table, but that component isn’t exactly it these days. There’s too much stress on Barrett up front. This team isn’t dead in the water, but they desperately need a shakeup trade for a forward. Thomahawk also needs to not regress from last season's resurgence and steal some games.

#11 RUBBER PUCKIES

[​IMG]

The best thing I can say about Dvetts and Rawb’s team is that this is not a dumpster fire for a (so far) last ranked team. They do have a week 1 series win against the Beavers under their belts. There are many cromulent players here, even if they lack top end talent, so as to still provide competitive series. But fear of metastasis is a thing when a team has a brutal start. Luckily, they have a lot of good guys in the locker room. They traded Schwatz, who wasn’t really scoring either, for depth. While I’m not sure it changes the calculus much, I don’t think they’re worse for it.

THE END.